To link a sketch, inspection, RFI, observation, document, or submittal to a section of a drawing using Procore's Drawings tool.
When viewing project drawings, it's helpful to add markups directly to a drawing that link to a related object (e.g. sketch, RFI, document, submittal, punch item, observation, inspection). Dramatically reduce confusion on a project by simply adding markup links in the matching section of a drawing. For example, you can highlight the specific section of a drawing that's affected by a submittal. Linking items to drawings makes it easy to keep everything organized and easy to access from your computer, iPhone, iPad, or Android device.
Things to Consider
- Required User Permissions: 'Read-only' and above on the project's Drawings tool can add markups to their Personal layer
Note: Only 'Standard' and 'Admin' level users can publish personal markups to the Published layer.
For more information on this, see What is the difference between personal and published markups?
- To see sketches as an option, be sure to first Upload Drawing Sketches to the Drawings tool.
- Each linked item will only appear as an option if it is an active tool in your project (e.g. Inspections will only appear if the Inspections tool is available to you on the project.) To request that Inspections be added to your project, have your Project Adminstrator contact the company's Procore point of contact.
- Navigate to the Project level Drawings tool.
- Click Open in the drawing log next to the drawing you're going to mark up.
- Click the Markup icon in the upper right of the page.
Note: You can also click Info in the drawing log next to the drawing you would like to add an item to, then click Open in Viewer / Markup in the right pane.
- Using your drawing markup toolbar, select the shape tool (a shape with a solid line; not the dotted shape icon) and draw the shape where you would like it in your drawing. (Note: You may change the color of the shape by clicking the colored circle and choosing a different color.)
- Click Link.
- Select which item you're going to link to. (e.g. RFI, Submittal, Document, Observation, Inspection, or Sketch) You can only link to a single item at a time. If you want to link to more than one item, you must click Link again.
- For the menu to contain the options below, the corresponding tool must be active on your project. See Add and Remove Tools on a Project.
- To link an item using one of the menu options, at least one item must already exist in the tool. See Create an RFI, Create a Submittal, Upload Files into a Folder, Create a Project Level Inspection, Create an Observation, and Upload a Drawing Sketch.
- Search for the item you would like to attach by name or number. You can also double-click on the search box to drop down a list of your recent items.
- After selecting the item, you can click on the item label and drag it to a space on the drawing so that it's not covering an important part of the drawing.
- Changes are saved automatically, so you can click out of the drawing when you are finished by clicking the x icon in the top right.