Limited ReleaseThe Funding tool is available as a limited release for Procore customers in the United States who have implemented the Procore for Owners point-of-view dictionary. To learn more, see What tool names and terms are different in Procore for general contractors, owners, and specialty contractors?
When a change to the scope of work or the original funding amount occurs during a construction project, the change management process begins. You can create a potential change order if your company's Procore Administrator configures the Funding tool with the two (2)- or three (3)-tier change order configuration setting. See What are the different change order tier settings in Project Financials?
Things to Consider
- Required User Permissions:
- Admin' level permissions on the project's Change Orders tool.
ImportantDo not use the steps below when:
- The Change Events tool is enabled on the projects. Follow these steps instead: Create a Potential Change Order from a Change Event.
- The Funding tool is configured with the one (1) tier change order configuration setting. Follow these steps instead: Create a Funding Change Order.
- Admin' level permissions on the project's Change Orders tool.
- Additional Information:
- After a potential change order is approved, the next step depends on the Funding tool's change order configuration setting:
- For companies using the ERP Integrations tool: Show/Hide
- Not all ERP integrations support the sync of change orders. For those that do, additional requirements, limitations, and considerations vary depending on the ERP system your company's account is integrated with. See Things to Know About your ERP Integration for details.
- Its recommended that you configure the Funding tool with the 2-tier change order configuration setting. The 3-tier setting is also supported. See What are the different change order tier settings in Project Financials?
Create a Potential Change Order
- Navigate to the project's Funding tool.
- Locate the funding to work with. Then click its Number link.
- Click the Change Orders tab.
- Click Create Potential CO.
- Complete the following fields:
Accept the default number, enter a new number, or create a custom numbering scheme.
TipHow are numbers assigned? To learn how Procore assigns numbers and to understand your custom numbering options, see How are commitments, contracts, and changes numbered in Procore?
- Date Created
Shows the creation date and time. This value cannot be changed.
Shows the revision number. The first version is zero (0), subsequent revisions are assigned in sequential order. A potential change order might have several revisions, depending on its reviewer/approver feedback.
- Created By
Shows the Procore user who created the potential change order. This value cannot be changed.
- Contract Company
Shows the name of the company responsible for performing the work on the funding.
If you have been assigned access permissions to the Funding tool, click this link to open the funding.
Enter a title for the potential change order in this box.
- Funding Change Order
Select a funding change order from the list to link it to the potential change order.
Select the current state of the potential change order. To learn more, see What are the default statuses for change orders in Procore?
- Change Reason
Select the reason for the potential change order, either Client Request, Design Development, Allowance, Existing Condition, Back Charge, or any additional options created for your specific environment by your company's Procore Administrator. See Set the Default Change Management Configurations.
- Change Order Request
NoteA change order request is only required when the Funding tool is using the 3-Tier change order configuration setting. See What are the different change order tier settings in Project Financials?
- None. A potential change order can be linked to a change order request at a later time.
- Add to Existing. Link the potential change order to an existing change order request.
- Create New. Create a new change order request. You also have the option to create a new funding change order at the same time.
Mark this checkbox if you only want the potential change order to be visible to users with 'Admin' permissions on the Funding tool.
- Accounting Method
This field inherits the accounting method that was specified in the funding. See How do I set the accounting method for a contract or funding?
Enter a more detailed description of the reason for the potential change order.
- Request Received From
Select the Procore user for whom you are submitting the potential change order.
- Schedule Impact
If known, provide an estimate for the additional number of days required to complete work when the potential change order is approved.
Use this drop-down list to select a location related to the potential change order. You can select an existing location or Add a Multi-tiered Location to an Item.
Add any other important tools, materials, drawings, or documents to use as a reference for the potential change order.
- Field Change
Check this box if the potential change order requires a field change.
- Paid in Full
Check this box to indicate you have received payment for this change.
Select and add any relevant documents.
- Click Create.
Add a Schedule of Values to a Potential Change Order
When there are costs associated with a potential change order, you must add line items to the schedule of values.
- In the potential change order, click the Schedule of Values tab
- Select the correct Cost Code from the drop-down list.
- Enter a description for the line item.
- Select the appropriate Cost Type. If you're using the Budget tool, the Type will pre-fill to the first type associated with that cost code on the budget. You should only select a "non-budgeted" line item type if you would like to add a new line to the budget.
- Click the + button. If the combination of the sub job, cost code, and cost type are non-budgeted, a pop-up will appear asking you to confirm you want to add this line item to the budget. If OK is selected, this line item will be added directly to the budget with a "?" next to the line item. See Add a Partial Budget Line Item.
- The 'Associated Line Item' drop-down list only appears if your company's Procore account is integrated with Sage 300 CRE® and the Funding tool is active on the project.
- When adding line items to the change order's schedule of values, you must select an associated line item for each new line item. You may designate one (1) associated line item or use the same associated line item for multiple line items.
- Repeat the steps above to add new line items.
- Click Save.
If the potential change order also affects a commitment contract, continue as follows:
- For contracts using the two (2)- or three (3) tier change order configuration settings, click Create CPCO. See Create a Commitment Potential Change Order from a Change Event.
- For contracts using the one (1) tier change order configuration setting, click Create CCO. See Create a Commitment Change Order from a Funding Change Order.
To learn how to associate financial markup with line items, see Add Financial Markup to Change Orders.