Create a GC/Client Invoice for a Client Contract
Limited ReleaseThe Client Contracts tool is available as a limited release for Procore customers in the United States and Canada who have implemented the Procore for Specialty Contractors point-of-view dictionary. To learn more, see What dictionaries and languages are available in the Procore web application?
To create a GC/Client invoice for a client contract.
An GC/Client Invoice is an application for payment, typically submitted by a Specialty Contractor to a General Contractor (GC) or client to provide an itemized record of the amount due for work performed. In Procore, a GC/Client invoice is equivalent to an accounts receivable invoice.
Things to Consider
- Required User Permissions:
- To create an invoice, 'Admin' level permissions on the project's Client Contracts tool.
- To view the Detail tab on an invoice, 'Read Only' or 'Standard' level permissions on the project's Client Contracts tool with the 'View GC/Client Invoice Detail' granular permission enabled on your permission template.
Note: If you do NOT have 'Admin' level permissions on the project's Client Contracts tool and want to view some or all of the client contracts, see View Client Contracts.
- Additional Information:
- When you enter a value for an invoice that is larger than the scheduled value, the invoice will be highlighted in red.
- You can only edit the billed amounts on the most recent invoice.
- To learn how amounts are automatically completed by Procore on GC/Client invoices, see How does Procore automatically fill in amounts on a GC/Client invoices?
- Create a client contract. See Create Client Contracts.
- Place the client contract in the 'Approved' or 'Complete' status. See Approve a Client Contract.
- You must create a billing period. See Create Automatic Billing Periods in the Progress Billings Tool or Create Manual Billing Periods in the Progress Billings Tool.
- Navigate to the project's Client Contracts tool.
- Locate the client contract to work with. Then click its Number link.
- Click Create and then choose the Create Progress Billing option.
NoteIf an invoice has already been created for the current billing period, click the Progress Billings tab. Then click the Edit button to open it.
- On the 'New Invoice (Payment Application)' page, do the following:
- Commitment Billing Period
Select the current billing period from the drop-down list. If there is no billing period in this list, follow the steps in Create Automatic Billing Periods in the Progress Billings Tool or Create Manual Billing Periods in the Progress Billings Tool.
Enter a unique, alphanumeric identification number for the invoice. Procore automatically numbers invoices in ascending numerical order, starting with one (1). The number entered in this field does NOT affect Procore's default invoice numbering scheme.
- Period Start
Select a start date for the invoice. Procore automatically populates this field with the current billing period's start date.
- Period End
Select an end date for the invoice. Procore automatically populates this field with the current billing period's end date.
- Billing Date
Select the billing date for the invoice.
Select a status for the GC/Client invoice. See What are the default statuses for Procore invoices?
- Percent Complete
Shows the percentage of work completed.
A PDF of the invoice and any related invoice PDFs from the project's Direct Costs tool are combined into a single PDF and attached here.
- Commitment Billing Period
- Click Create.
You will be prompted to confirm that you want your new invoice to pre-populate with the following information:
- Amounts on the 'Work Completed' and 'Materials Presently Stored' columns of 'Approved' and 'Pending Approval' subcontractor invoices.
- Amounts for 'Invoices' are created in the project's Direct Costs tool when the 'Received Date' on that direct cost falls within the billing period.
- Amounts from Commitment Change Orders that have amounts in Client Contract Change Orders.
- In the 'Do you want to pre-fill the GC/Client Invoice?' message, you have these options:
- Yes. Click this button to confirm that you want the invoice to pre-populate the invoice with the amounts billed from the fields listed in the message.
- No Thanks. If you want to manually complete the invoice
- Cancel. Click this button to cancel invoice creation.
- Scroll down the page to view a preview of the invoice form under "Summary Preview." To learn how the 'Current Amount Due' amount is calculated, see How does Procore calculate an invoice's 'Current Payment Due' amount?
Edit Line Items
- Click the Detail tab.
NoteUsers with 'Read Only' or 'Standard' level permission on the Client Contracts tool can only view the Detail tab only if the 'View GC/Client Invoice Detail' granular permission is enabled on their permission template.
- Click Edit.
- Enter data in these YELLOW boxes:
- Work Completed (This Period)
If you confirmed the option for Procore to automatically complete the GC/Client invoice's amounts (see How does Procore automatically complete amounts on a GC/Client invoice?), the values from the 'Work Completed (This Period)' column from any related subcontractor invoices and any direct costs amounts are included in this column.
- Materials Presently Stored
If you confirmed the option for Procore to automatically complete the GC/Client invoice's amounts Invoice amounts (see How does Procore automatically complete amounts on a GC/Client invoice?), the values from the 'Materials Presently Stored' column in any related subcontractor invoices are included in this column.
- Work Retainage Retained this Period
Enter a percentage or dollar amount for work retainage retained this period. You can also set retainage on all line items by entering a value into the right sidebar and clicking Set.
- Materials Retainage Retained this Period
Enter a percentage or dollar amount for materials retainage retained this period. You can also set retainage on all line items by entering a value into the right sidebar and clicking Set.
- Work Retainage $ Released This Period
Enter a dollar amount of work retainage released this period.
- Work Completed (This Period)
- Optional: If you have any 'Approved' contract change orders, you can choose to add them to the invoice by scrolling to the bottom of the page and clicking Add to Invoice.
The entry and editing of the change orders will always occur at the line item level of detail. You can select a different level of detail for how change orders will be displayed on the detail page of the Invoice when being viewed or exported from Procore. See Edit the Advanced Settings on a Client Contract.
Values on an invoice are never copied to a project's change orders.
- Click Save.
Your changes are reflected on the General tab under the Contract Summary Report section.