This announcement represents a single point in time. Future releases may impact the information below.
Published: December 27, 2017 / Last Updated: January 16, 2018
New Submittal Workflow
In January 2018, Procore deployed a new submittal workflow model to provide your users with more flexibility when setting the approval path for a submittal. This deployment is complete and the new model prevents project users with 'Admin' level permission on the Submittals tool from having to specifically configure the tool to use sequential approval or parallel approval. A new submittal workflow table has been implemented on all Procore accounts and allows your users to create and edit submittals that use either sequential, parallel, or a combination of both approval models:
- How to use the new submittal workflow
- How to continue using sequential approval
- How to continue using parallel approval
How to use the new submittal workflow
If you want a step in the new submittal workflow to use sequential approval, add only one (1) user to each line item in the workflow. You can add multiple steps to a workflow and each line step will be processed by Procore in sequential order. If you want a step in the new submittal workflow to use parallel approval, simply add two (2) or more users to that step. In the example below, there are three (3) sequential approval steps, but the third step has two (2) users in parallel. When a step is processed in parallel, all members of the group must submit a response before the Ball In Court responsibility shifts to the next step.
How to continue using sequential approval
If you want the submittal workflow to use sequential approval, add only one (1) user to each line item in the workflow. You can add multiple line items to a workflow and each line item will be processed by Procore in sequential order. The following example shows you how to create a sequential approval workflow that includes one (1) line item on a workflow that contains four (4) reviewers total.
How to continue using parallel approval
If you want to use parallel approval on a submittal, add two (2) or more people to a line item. You can add multiple line items to a workflow and each line item will be processed by Procore in sequential order. The following example shows you how to create a parallel group of approvers. Note: When using parallel approval, the Approver role is the only role available. The Submitter role cannot be selected.
Why is this important?
The design of the new submittal's workflow widget provides these benefits:
- Eliminates the Backend Request Process to Configure Procore for Parallel Approval. When setting up a project, a user with 'Admin' level permission to the Submittals tool will no longer have to submit a request to Procore to configure the tool for parallel approval on the Procore backend.
- Expands Your Assignment Options with a New Submittal Workflow Widget. Your project's submittals can now use sequential approval, parallel approval, or a combination of both approval frameworks in a single workflow.
- Assign Multiple Users to the 'Submitter' and 'Approver' Group. With this option, you can now assign multiple subcontractors to a 'Submitter' or 'Approver' group. This allows multiple approvers to review the submittal in parallel, but keeps the system from shifting the Ball In Court (BIC) responsibility to the next group until all group members submit a response. With the new workflow, each line item in the workflow represents a group. You can add multiple users to a single line item to create a parallel approval group or you can add a single person to a single line item for sequential approval.
- Automatically Add Reviewers to Submittal Workflow When Using the Forward for Review Option. Approvers retain the existing Forward for Review functionality (see Forward a Submittal for Review). However, now, the forwarding recipient is automatically added into the originating senders workflow group and the BIC responsibility will NOT be shifted until that new approver responds.