To create an invoice for work completed, which can then be emailed to the owner.
Things to Consider
- Required User Permissions:
- To create an invoice, 'Admin' level permission on the Prime Contract tool.
- To view the Detail tab on a invoice, 'Read-Only' or 'Standard' level permission on the Project level Prime Contract. For details, see Grant Granular Permissions in a Permission Template.
- Additional Information:
- You can only create a invoice if the status of the Prime Contract is either "Approved" or "Complete."
- When you enter a value for a invoice that is larger than the scheduled value, the invoice will be highlighted in red.
- You can only edit the billed amounts on the most recent invoice.
- In order to copy Requisition and Direct Cost amounts from the Commitment Billing Period to the invoice the following things must be true:
- Prime Contract must be Amount Based. See How do I determine my accounting method?
- Direct Cost amounts must have a status of 'Approved.'
- The Direct Cost "Received Date" must fall within the Commitment Billing Period Start and End dates.
- Only Direct Costs from Procore's Direct Costs tool will copy. ERP Direct Costs will not copy.
- Subcontractor invoices must have a status of 'Approved,' 'Approved as Noted,' and 'Pending Owner Approval."
- The Invoice should have one line item with either the cost code and cost type that matches the Requisition and/or direct Cost line item, or the Division as the cost code that the Requisition and/or Direct Cost line item cost code is tiered under. For example, if the requisition line item is 03-300, and the Invoice is line item Division 03, the 03-300 amount will copy to the Division 03 line item.
- If the Invoice has multiple line items with the same cost code and cost type, Procore will duplicate the requisition and/or direct cost line item amount onto both Invoice lines, doubling the amount on the Invoice.
- Once the Invoice is created, there is currently no option to copy Subcontractor Invoices or Direct Costs at a later time for that same Invoice (other than manually entering in the amounts).
- Both subcontractor invoices and Direct Costs amounts will copy only. If they are revised in the Requisition and Direct Cost after they are copied into the Invoice, the Invoice will not update with the revised amounts.
- If you choose to compile your subcontractor invoices backup (See Compile Subcontractor Invoice Backup), the compiled backup will be attached to your invoice. The compiled requisition backup will also include the DocuSign version of the PDFs if DocuSign is being used.
- The Prime Contract and Commitments accounting method must be Amount Based. See How do I determine my accounting method?
- Commitment Change Order billed amounts will prefill from the subcontractor invoices to the owner invoice if the line items have the following:
- The same matching Change Event Line Item (projects must have Change Events enabled).
- Line items have change orders broken down by line item. Any project created on or after March 29, 2018 has the change orders broken down by line item functionality enabled.
- Navigate to the project's Prime Contract tool.
- Click the Create Invoice button.
- Complete the form with the appropriate values.
- Period Start: Select a start date you are creating the invoice for.
- Period End: Select an end date you are creating the invoice for.
- Invoice #: Specify the invoice number associated with the invoice.
- Billing Date: Select the date you are requesting payment by.
- Percent Complete: Denotes the percent of work completed.
- Status: Select one of the following statuses: Draft, Under Review, Revise and Resubmit, or Approved. After creating the invoice, you can change the status to "Under Review" when it is ready for review and can update it to "Approved" or "revise and Resubmit" accordingly.
- Commitment Billing Period: Select the commitment billing period for the invoice.
- Attachments: If Step 4 below is confirmed, the Requisition PDFs and any Requisition and Direct Cost PDF attachments from the selected commitment billing period will combine into a single PDF, which you will see here.
- Click Create. You will be prompted to confirm that you want the invoice to pre-populate with amounts billed per division or cost code from our commitment requisition work complete and materials presently stored columns and direct costs. If confirmed, this pulls in Requisitions and Direct Costs amounts for the selected Commitment Billing Period, as well as adds attachments as referenced above.
Note: For amounts to be pulled in correctly, the Cost Code and Cost Type on Requisition and Direct Cost line items must match that of the Prime Contract's Divisions or Cost Code lines.
- Scroll down the page to view a preview of the invoice form under "Summary Preview."
Edit Line Items
- Click the Detail sub tab.
Note: Users with 'Read-Only' or 'Standard' level permission on the Project level Prime Contract tool can only view the Detail tab if granted the 'View Invoice Detail' granular permission. For details, see Grant Granular Permissions in a Permission Template.
- Click the Edit button.
- You can then fill out the following fields for effected line items:
- Work Completed (This Period): Requisition amounts (From Work Completed (This Period) in Reqs) and Direct Costs amounts will be copied here if you confirmed the pre-fill option in Step 4 above.
- Materials Presently Stored: Requisition amounts (from Materials Presently Stored in Requisitions) will be copied here if you confirmed the pre-fill option in Step 4 above.
- Work Retainage Retained this Period: Enter a percentage or dollar amount for work retainage retained this period. You can also set retainage on all line items by entering a value into the right sidebar and clicking Set.
- Materials Retainage Retained this Period: Enter a percentage or dollar amount for materials retainage retained this period. You can also set retainage on all line items by entering a value into the right sidebar and clicking Set.
- Work Retainage $ Released This Period: Enter a dollar amount of work retainage released this period.
- (Optional) If you have any approved contract change orders, you can choose to add them to the invoice by scrolling to the bottom of the page and clicking the Add to Invoice button.
The entry and editing of the change orders will always occur at the line item level of detail. You can select a different level of detail for how change orders will be displayed on the detail page of the Invoice when being viewed or exported from Procore. See Edit Advanced Settings subtab in Prime Contract.
No requisition values will copy to the change orders.
- Click the Save button at the top of the tab.
All changes will be reflected Contract Summary Report in the General subtab.