In Procore, the term Retainage refers to the practice of withholding of a portion of a contract amount until the work is deemed satisfactorily complete. The withheld amount is specified in an agreement between the contracting party (the party paying for the work) and a contracted party (the person or company performing the work). A common practice is to withhold 5-10% of a contract's total value until a milestone is reached. Then, the withheld amount can be released as a progress payment. When work is substantially complete, the withheld amount can be released as a final payment.
Things to Consider
- Required User Permissions:
- To set and release retainage when editing an invoice before, during, or after the current billing period, 'Admin' level permissions on the project's Commitments tool.
- To release retainage when editing an invoice during the current billing period only, 'Standard' level permissions on the project's Commitments tool and you must be the designated 'Invoice Contact' on the contract. Invoice contacts are automatically added to the 'Private' drop-down list on the contract.
NoteTo learn more about releasing retainage on a subcontractor invoice, see Create a Subcontractor Invoice for the Release of Retainage.
- Additional Information:
- To set the same percentage of retainage on all line items in the invoice, enter a value to apply to all line items in the invoice.
- To release retainage on all line items, enter a value to apply to all line items. This moves the desired percentage from the 'Currently Retained' column to the 'Released This Period' column.
- For customers in Australia , you can also manage withholding using the sliding scale retention feature. To learn more, see What is sliding scale retention?
- Enable Retainage on a Purchase Order or Subcontract
- Create a new invoice and place it into the 'Draft' status. See Create an Invoice on Behalf of an Invoice Contact.
- Navigate to the project's Commitments tool.
- Under the Contracts tab, locate the purchase order or subcontract. Then click Edit.
- Click the Invoices tab.
- Locate the subcontractor invoice that you want to work with.
- Click the Detail tab.
- Click the Edit button.
- Choose the next steps:
Set Retainage on All Line Items
To set retainage, you must have 'Admin' level permissions on the project's Commitments tool.
- Under Set Retainage on All Line Items, do the following:
- Enter the percentage to withhold in the Work Completed box.
- Click Set.
- Enter the percentage to withhold in the Materials Stored box. To learn more, see How do I bill for stored materials in Procore?
- Click Set.
Release Retainage on All Line Items
- To release retainage on an invoice, you must have the Required User Permissions detailed above.
- To learn how to create a new subcontractor invoice to release retainage on all line items, see Create a Subcontractor Invoice for the Release of Retainage.
- Under Release Retainage on All Line Items, do the following:
- Enter the percentage to release in the Work Completed box.
- Click Release.
A GREEN banner appears to confirm the retainage was released.