In Procore, you can create a submittal and place it in the 'Draft' status while you are assembling a preliminary version of a submittal. This is useful when your company or project gives its subcontractors to upload submittal information (e.g., shop drawings, product data, samples, etc.). After all the required information is collected in the 'Draft', you can then change the status of the submittal to 'Open' in order to send it out for review and approval before the final submission.
Who can and cannot place a submittal in the 'Draft' status
In Procore, submittals are typically created by either project managers or subcontractors. See Create a Submittal. Depending on your role, here is information about what you can do with a 'Draft' submittal:
- If you are a Project Manager responsible for creating a submittal, you will typically be granted 'Admin' level permission to a project's Submittals tool. You will have these options:
- You can create new submittals in the 'Draft' or 'Open' status.
- You can edit existing submittals created by others, including changing their statuses to 'Draft' and whether or not they are marked as 'Private'.
- It is recommended that you create a 'Draft' to collect the information from the responsible contractor and then upload the information to the submittal before changing its status to 'Open'. See What are the default submittal statuses in Procore?
- Submittal workflow due dates do not automatically advance while a submittal is in the 'Draft' status.
- If you are a subcontractor responsible for creating a submittal, you will typically be granted 'Standard' level permissions to the project's Submittals tool. You also have these options:
- You can create a submittal in the 'Open' status, but you will NOT be permitted to change the status to 'Draft'.
- You can mark your submittal as 'Private'.
- After you create the submittal, a user (such as the Submittal Manager) with 'Admin' level permissions on the project's Submittals tool can edit your submittal, including changing its status to 'Draft' and whether or not it is marked as 'Private'.
How to place a submittal in the 'Draft' status
When a user with 'Admin' level permission creates or edits a submittal (see Create a Submittal or Edit a Submittal), select Draft from the Status drop-down list. Note: Only users with 'Admin' level permission on the Submittals tool can change a submittal's status.