To create a submittal for a project using the Project level Submittals tool.
Background Glossary of Terms
Frequently, the submittal process on a construction project is managed by a general contractor. During the project, submittals are often first created by a project manager and or a contractor (or subcontractor) who then submits detailed information about the items they plan to fabricate and/or install (i.e., materials data, product data, product samples, shop drawings, and more) to the design team for review. Each reviewer submits a response (e.g., approve, reject, etc.) to the submittal.
- Navigate to the Project level Submittals tool.
- In the right pane, click the Create Submittal button.
This reveals the New Submittal page.
- Complete these tasks:
Add General Information
- In the New Submittal page, under General Information, enter a descriptive statement for the new submittal item in the Title box.
The title entered here will display in the list view of the Submittals page.
- Enter a reference number for the contract document or document section in the Spec Section box.
Note: A configuration setting on the Submittals tool will change how the next step works for you.
- Depending on how the settings for the Submittals tool are configured for the project, Procore will automatically update the values in the Number & Revision boxes for you as follows:
- If the Number Submittals By Spec Section configuration setting has been turned ON by an 'Admin' level user, Procore looks at the Spec Section number and then appends a submittal number and revision number to the spec section number. For example, if the spec section numbering is formatted as "03-3000-Concrete," the Spec Section number is followed by the submittal number "1" and the revision number "0" (e.g., 03-3000-1.0). For each subsequent update, Procore also increments the submittal's revision number. For example, if the first version was "0,", the first revision would be "1" and the second revision would be "2" (e.g., 03-3000-1.1, 03-3000-1.2, etc).
- If the Number Submittals By Spec Section configuration setting has been turned OFF by an 'Admin' level user, Procore automatically sets the Number of the first submittal created for the project to "1." As users create subsequent submittals, Procore automatically increments the number to "2," "3," and so on. As users revise a submittal, the revision number increments automatically.
- Select an existing package from the Submittal Package list.
Note: To create a package to group items for a specific subcontractor, vendor, or category of work (e.g., Plumbing or Electrical), see Create a Submittal Package.
- Select a vendor, company, or subcontractor from the Responsible Contractor drop-down list.
Note: To add responsible contractors to the drop-down list, see Request a Directory Vendor Import.
- Define the state of the submittal in the Status box. You have these options:
- Open. Select this option to indicate that the submittal is waiting for approvers to respond.
- Closed. Select this option after both the submittal and the subcontractor is approved to perform the contracted work.
Note: Users with 'Admin' level permissions to the Admin tool can create custom statuses to use with the Submittals tool. See Create a Custom Submittal Log Status.
- Select the subcontractor who will receive and act upon the submittal in the Received From list.
- Select a due date from the Submit by calendar. This specifies the date by which the subcontractor needs to submit all of the relevant documents pertaining to the submittal to the general contractor for review.
- Select a date from the Received Date calendar. This defines the date that the general contractor received the submittal from the subcontractor.
- Enter the expected number of days required for the material to arrive on site in the Lead Time box.
- Enter a Cost Code related to the submittal. This lets you link a submittal's related items together under a single cost code for billing purposes.
- Next to Private, place a check mark in the Visible Only to Admins, Workflow, and Distribution List Members box (see Mark a Submittal as Private).
- Choose the Issue Date from the list box. This defines the date the contractor submitted the item to the design team for review.
- Choose the Final Due Date from the calendar. This defines the date the submittal must be reviewed.
- Choose the Required On-Site Date from the calendar. This defines the date on which materials must be delivered and available for use on the construction site. By default, Procore uses the Final Due Date to populate this field.
- Select a classification for the submittal from the Type list.
Note: The default type selections include: Document, Pay Request, Payroll, Plans, Prints, Product Information, Product Manual, Sample, Shop Drawing, Specification, or Other.
- Select or enter a location from the Location drop-down list.
Note: You have the option to select an existing location from the list or you can Add a Multi-tiered Location to an Item. Depending on the project's setup, this list may include a general site location or it might contain more specific selections (e.g., second, third, or additional tiers at a site location location).
- Enter some informative text and any important notes about the remaining tasks to complete for the submittal in the Description box.
- Attach any relevant documentation to the submittal. You have these options:
- Click Attach File(s) and then upload documents from your computer.
- Use a drag-and-drop operation to move files from your computer into the grey Drag and Drop File(s) box.
Note: If you are attaching files already stored in Procore's Documents tool, click the Select All button to attach photos or drawings in bulk.
back to steps
Calculate Submittal Schedule Information (If Enabled)
If your company has turned the 'Enable Submittal Schedule Calculations' option On for use with your project, the New Submittal page includes the Submittal Schedule Information area, which users your data entry to automatically calculate the submit and review dates for the submittal.
Note: To learn how to enable this feature on a project and also how to set up this feature for use, see Set Up Submittal Schedule Calculations.
- Under Submittal Schedule Information, use the calendar control to enter a date in the Required On-Site Date box.
- Enter the expected number of days for the following:
Use the calendar control to enter a date in the Required On-Site Date box.
- Lead Time
- Design Team Review Time
- Internal Review
If this feature has been set up properly, Procore will automatically populate dates in the following fields:
back to steps
Update the Delivery Information
- View the date displaying in the Anticipated Delivery Date. This date is calculated by Procore. It is the date between the lead time and when the submittal was distributed. See Distribute a Submittal.
- If the Schedule tool is active on the project (see Schedule) and scheduled tasks have been created or uploaded for your project, you can select a project task from the Scheduled Task drop-down list.
- Select the date the subcontractor or supplier confirmed the freight would arrive using the Confirmed Delivery Data calendar.
- Select the date the material arrived on site using the Actual Delivery Date calendar. Typically, this value is updated by the project superintendent.
back to steps
Create the Distribution List
- Select one or more individuals using the Select A Person drop-down list.
The users on this list will receive email updates about the submittal. They are not approvers and they are not required to approve/reject a submittal.
If you want to remove someone from the list, click the red 'x' next to their name.
back to steps
Add Reviewers to the Submittal Workflow
- Determine which type of approval process has been enabled on the project. You have these options:
- Parallel Approval. A parallel approval workflow provides designated approvers with the ability to review submittal's in tandem and accept/reject the approval concurrently.
- Sequential Approval. A sequential approval workflow requires that designated approvers accept/reject the submittal in a designated sequence. This is Procore's default setting.
Note: To learn more about approval workflows, see What is the difference between Sequential Approval and Parallel Approval in the Submittals tool?
- Under Submittal Workflow, do the following:
- In the Start Typing to Search People box, type to search for the appropriate individual to add.
- From the Role drop-down list, choose Approver or Submitter.
Note: To be designated as an approver, the user must be granted 'Admin' or 'Standard' permissions for the Submittals tool. If the approver is not assigned this permission level, they will not be permitted to add a response.
Note: When creating a submittal, a 'Standard' level user can only assign a submittal to an 'Admin' level user, whereas an 'Admin' level user can assign an submittal to users with either 'Admin' or 'Standard' permissions.
- Select a due date from the calendar control. Each approver must submit their response by the Final Due Date.
- Click Add to insert a new row in the submittal workflow table. The repeat the steps above to add another person to the submittal workflow.
Update and/or Send the Submittal for Review
When finished with the steps above, choose one of these options:
- To save your changes without sending an email to reviewers and distribution list members, click Update.
- To save your changes and to send an email notification to alert the reviewers on the submittal workflow and to alert the members of the distribution list, click Update & Send Emails.