To review invoices line by line in the project's Commitments tool.
Project Managers and users with 'Admin' level permissions on the Commitments tool can approve or reject invoice line items that Subcontractors (or 'Standard' level users or users added as invoice contacts) have submitted. A green checkmark can be selected to indicate that the line item has been approved, and the red x can be selected to indicate that the line item has been rejected.
Things to Consider
- Required User Permissions: 'Admin' level permissions on the Commitments tool.
- Users with 'Standard' level permissions on the Commitments tool or users added as invoice contacts to commitments will see the Invoice line item status on the Invoice edit page.
- Create a Commitment Billing Period. See Start a New Billing Period and Send Invoice Emails.
- Navigate to the project's Commitments tool.
- Click View next to the Commitment with the invoice with line items you want to review.
- Click the Invoices tab.
- Click Edit next to the Invoice
- Click the Edit button
- Click to the left of the line item to approve the line item. Click to the left of the line item to reject the line item. If you reject the line items, you will have the option to add comments. Note that these comments are not shown in the email sent to the sub.
- If you have enabled the Enable Subcontractor Proposed Amounts option in Commitment Settings, the Subcontractor Claimed This Period column will appear on this screen. See Create a Payment Schedule.
- If you reject a line item, then when you create the invoice PDF it will show a Reasons for Difference table which includes any comments you enter as the reason for rejection. See Export an Owner Invoice as a PDF, CSV, or PDF with attachments.
- While the "Subcontractor Claimed This Period" column can reflect what a subcontractor submitted, an admin can adjust the "Work Completed This Period" and "Materials Presently Stored" columns separately to set the appropriate amounts.
- Click Save.
- In the Finish Review pop-up, you can update the status and add any additional comments. The status will default to Revise and Resubmit if there are any line items that have been rejected. If no line items have been rejected, the status will default to Under Review. Additional comments will be sent to any invoice contacts for the commitment if Revise and Resubmit is selected.