To create an observation to send to a responsible party in the Observations tool.
Things to Consider
- Required User Permissions: 'Standard' or 'Admin' level permissions on the Observations tool.
- You may also Create an Observation from an Inspection (iOS).
- When you create an observation, you will get email notifications any time another user comments or changes the status of an Observation. See Add a Comment to an Observation and Respond to an Observation.
This action can be performed in offline mode (i.e. when an active network connection is not available on your mobile device). Tasks performed in offline mode will be synced with Procore once a network connection has been reestablished.
You can perform this action from the Quick Action menu on the app's Dashboard, or landing page. Tap the + icon, and tap Create Observation.
- Tap the project you would like to work in on your mobile device.
- Tap the Observations tool.
- Tap the + icon in the top right.
- Enter in the following information:
- Title: Title the observation to announce the general topic.
- Type: Choose the type that best categorizes the observation. The type will help you filter and report based on the type of observation. It will not have any affect on which fields will appear when creating an observation. See What are the default Observation types used for? (Note: Your company's Procore Administrator can customize the selections that appear in this list on a computer. See Add Custom Observation Types).
- Status: Set the status of the observation.
- Initiated: When you create the observation, it will be set to "initiated." This means that the observation has been established in Procore and is awaiting the assignee to respond.
- Ready for Review: Once the assignee has acted upon the observation (whether by fixing the deficiency, by addressing the safety issue, etc.), he or she will respond to the observation by changing the status to "Ready for Review." This notifies the creator via email that the observation is ready for the creator to review.
- Not Accepted: Once the creator has reviewed the work, he or she might mark it as "Not Accepted." This means that the creator has deemed the work as not resolved. The observation is put back into the assignee's court.
- Closed: Once the creator has reviewed the work, he or she might mark it as "Closed." This means that the creator has deemed the work as resolved and approved, and has closed out the item.
- Assignee: Select the user who will complete the work required from the observation.
(Note: This user must have 'Standard' or 'Admin' permissions on the Observations tool to respond or be set as an assignee.)
- Trade: Select the relevant trade for this observation. It signifies which trade is involved in resolving the observation. Trades are set at the company level admin tab under trade configuration on a computer. See Add or Delete Trades.
- Location: Select the location the observation is found in. How do I add a multi-tiered location to an item?
- You may also scan a location's QR code to enter a location. Tap the QR button in the top right. Point the camera of your device to the QR code to scan it. Procore will scan it automatically and add the location to the inspection.
- Due Date: By default, the due date will be set with 7 days after the observation was created. This field is editable on the create and edit pages of the observation, and the default due date is editable on the configuration settings.
- Private: Tap the toggle switch to ON, to mark the observation as 'Private.'
- Contributing Condition: Select a contributing condition associated with the observation.
- Contributing Behavior: Select a contributing behavior associated with the observation.
- Hazard: Select a hazard associated with the observation.
- Description: Add a description for the observation detailing relevant information needed to report on or complete the work.
- Attachments: Attach a file or photo to the observation by tapping Add Attachments to select a file or photo from your library, or select Take Photo to take a new photo to attach to the observation.
- Tap Save.
(Note: This will save and take you to the Observations log page, but it will not send notifications to the assignee and distribution list members.)
- When you're ready to send out notifications, navigate to the Observations tool on your computer.
- Click Send Notification(s) in the banner above the Observations log page to send a digest email to the attendees, members of the distribution list, and creators of all of the observations that have yet to be sent. The Observation's 'Date Notified' will be set to the date the Send Notifications button was clicked.
(Note: In order to see this banner, the observation must have an Assignee.)