IMPORTANT! In order to protect the integrity of your company’s data, Procore Employees are restricted from modifying the data that clients submit in all Procore Import Templates. This restriction applies to all data modifications, including correcting typographical errors. If Procore determines that errors are present in any Procore Import Template that you submit to Procore, it will be returned to you for correction. Please note that the import process may take up to 72 hours to process.
To submit a request to Procore to import a list of items to your project's Punch List tool.
During the Procore implementation process, a member of the Procore team can import your list of items to the project's Punch List tool. To do this, a user with 'Admin' level permissions to the project's Punch List tool must submit a properly formatted XLSX template that contain's a list of your punch list items. After receiving your updated import template, your Procore point of contact will review the submission, ensure the data is formatted to meet the import requirements, and convert the XLSX file to the required CSV format for you. After the import process is complete, you can log into Procore to validate that the data was imported as expected.
Things to Consider
- Required User Permission:
- 'Admin' level permission on the project's Punch List tool to request an import to the Punch List tool.
If you will be adding a user's email address as a 'Created By' or 'Assigned' value, ensure that these users have been added to your company's or the project's Directory tool. See Import Users to the Project Directory or Import Users to the Company Directory.
If your project is using single-tier locations, you can either create new a new location to the Admin tool during the import process or you can associate a submittal with an existing location during the import process. See Add Office Locations.
If your project is using multi-tiered locations, the tiers must already exist in Procore in order to associate a submittal with the location. See Add Multi-Tiered Locations to the Admin Tool and How Do I Add a Multi-Tiered Location To An Item?.
- Punch List Types:
If you will be specifying 'Punch Item Type' values, ensure the types have been added to your project's Punch List tool. See Configure Advanced Settings: Punch List Types
- Import Template Requirements:
- For general considerations, see How do I prepare my data for import into Procore?
- The completed template must be submitted to Procore in the XLSX format.
- The XLSX file must be formatted as a table.
- Required Column Data:
- Important! To avoid import errors, do not add empty rows, do NOT add blank columns, do NOT add new data columns, and do not delete the header row from the contact import template.
- The first line of the table must include the header, which defines the fields in the Excel table and your company's contact database in Procore.
- The following headers are required: Item Name*, Status, Punch Item Type, Due Date, Location, Cost Code, Schedule Impact, Schedule Impact Days, Cost Impact, Cost Impact Amount, Priority, Reference, Created By*, Description, Assigned, and Comments.
- The import process will fail if you modify values in column headers.
- The import process will fail if you insert new columns, move columns, or remove columns from the template.
- The import process will fail if you change the column header order in the template.
- Required Row Data:
- Important! There is no limit to the number of rows you can import. However, rows cannot be blank.
- Each row in the table corresponds to a punch list item. At a minimum, each record requires a value for the Item Name. Other columns and cells in a single row may be left blank.
- Each row in the table corresponds to a punch list line item.
- Maximum File Size:
- The maximum file size for a Punch List import is 1 MB.
- For general considerations, see How do I prepare my data for import into Procore?
To collect your data, your organization's Procore Administrator must complete the following steps:
Download the Import Template
Update the Import Template and Send it to Procore
- In the Microsoft Excel worksheet, click the 'Add Data Here' worksheet.
Note: You can input your data even when the worksheet is locked. You must start your data enter in cell A2 of the 'Add Data Here' worksheet.
- For each row in the worksheet, complete the data entry as follows:
An asterisk (*) indicates a required field.
- Item Name*
Enter a descriptive title for the punch list item. You can enter up to 255 alphanumeric characters. This is a required field.
- Punch List #*
Enter a numeric value in this box for each data row. Values in the column are commonly entered in ascending numeric order (e.g., 1, 2, 3, and so on). Duplicate values are allowed. However, this field cannot be blank.
Type 'Open' or 'Closed' to indicate the status of the punch list item. 'Open' items are unresolved and 'Closed' items are resolved.
- Punch Item Type
Enter one item type to categorize the punch list item (e.g., Electrical, Instrumentation, or Mechanical). For a successful import, types must be added to the Punch List tool before the import process, see Configure Advanced Settings: Punch List: Add Punch Item Types.
- Due Date
Enter the date the punch list item must be completed using the MM/DD/YYYY format (e.g., 06/01/2016).
Important! Do NOT enter dates in the M/D/YYYY format (e.g., do NOT enter 5/1/2016) or the import will fail. (Note: If the Excel column is not permitting you to add a leading zero, select the entire column, choose Format > Cells and then create a 'Custom' Number Format named 'mm/dd/yyyy' in the Number tab. See Create or Delete a Custom Number Format in Excel.)
Enter the trade name exactly as it appears in the Company level Admin tool (see Add or Delete Trade Names). Use the pipe (|) symbol as a separator to include multiple trade names (e.g., Concrete | Masonry).
Enter the location exactly as you want it to appear in Procore.
Important! If your project is using multi-tiered locations, you must enter the location exactly as it appears in Procore and separate each tier with the greater than (>) symbol and no SPACES between tiers (e.g., Lot 1>Section A).
- Cost Code
Associate a cost code with a punch list item. The cost code must be formatted "division - cost code" written with the exact amount of digits as listed in your project or company in Procore. See Edit and Add Cost Codes and Descriptions.
- Schedule Impact
Enter one of the following values for each punch list item. Any entry other than the ones below will result in a blank entry after the import:
- tbd. Enter this if the impact to the schedule is currently being assessed. This is short for 'To Be Determined'.
- n_a. Enter this value to leave the field blank.
- no_impact. Indicates the punch list item has no impact to on the project schedule.
- yes_unknown. Indicates the punch list item will impact the project schedule, but the impact is not known.
- yes_known. Indicates the punch list item impacts the project schedule and the number of days by which the project schedule will be impacted is know. If you enter this value, you must enter a number of days in the 'Schedule Impact Days' field.
- Schedule Impact Days
If you entered 'yes_known' in the 'Schedule Impact' field, enter a number of days by which the project schedule will be impacted by. (e.g., 7 or 14).
- Cost Impact
Enter in one of the following values as it applies to each punch list item. Any entry other than these will cause the field to be left blank.
- If the cost impact is "to be determined," enter "tbd"
- To leave the field blank intentionally, enter "n_a"
- If there is not an impact to the schedule, enter "no_impact"
- If there is an impact to the cost, and the amount of time is not known, enter "yes_unknown"
- If there is an impact to the cost due to the punch item, and the cost amount is known, enter "yes_known"
- Cost Impact Amount
If you entered 'yes_known' in the 'Cost Impact' field, enter the dollar amount here. Do NOT include the dollar sign ($) symbol.
Enter 'Low' 'Medium', or 'High' to indicate the priority of the punch list item.
Important! This entry is case-sensitive and must use initial case (e.g., the first letter of the value is capitalized). If this format is not used, the field will be blank after the import.
Enter a relevant keyword or phrase to use as an item reference. This is a free-form text field to be used as specified by your organization. For example, if the item was created at the client's request, enter "client request".
- Created By
Enter the full email address of the user who created the punch list item. Always enter the email address exactly as it appears in the Project Directory.
Important! Do NOT enter a user name in this field. You must enter an email address. The person must already be added or imported to the Project Directory. See Add a Person to the Project Directory or Import Users to the Project Directory. This user must also be granted 'Admin' level permissions or higher to the Punch List tool.
Enter additional descriptive information related to completing the punch list item. You can enter up to 255 alphanumeric characters.
- Assigned To
Enter the full email address of the person who is responsible for closing out the punch list item.
Important! Do NOT enter a user name in this field. You must enter an email address. The person must already be added or imported to the Project Directory. See Add a Person to the Project Directory or Import Users to the Project Directory. This user must also be granted 'Standard' level permissions or higher to the Punch List tool and will be automatically designated as the Ball In Court person for the punch list item.
Important! You can add multiple assignees to this field, but each email MUST be separated by the pipe ("|") symbol.
Enter in additional comments you may have on the punch list item. You can enter up to 255 alphanumeric characters.
- Item Name*
- Email the request for a user import to: firstname.lastname@example.org and add the CSV file as an attachment.
Important! You will not be able to undo a user directory import, so it is imperative that the data that you submit to Procore for the import is accurate.
- After your Procore point of contact notifies you that the import is complete, continue with Validate the Import.
Validate the Import
- Navigate to the project's Punch List tool.
- In the page that appears, validate that the imported punch list items are displaying as expected.